I won't be dwelling upon how it happened or why it happened as that's not really my intent. To be honest, those things mattered little to me when it actually happened and still do. I never watched the news nor read any of the articles about the whole ordeal. All I knew and still know to be the infallible truth is that she is gone from this life, but will never leave the hearts of anyone who knew and loved her.
I first met Heather in middle school. I want to say around the 6th grade. Ever since meeting her I think one of things I admired her for the most was that Heather was content being Heather. A very admirable trait in my book. She was simply a joy to be around. There was no facade to her that I think sometimes a large portion of society can put on for others. This was so refreshing that I believe for some, it was a bit raw and intimidating. Kids, and teenagers especially, can be rather cruel in the face of diversity and even more so when the said person being a "deviation" is completely comfortable in their own skin. I can't help but sometimes wonder how much of that stems from jealousy of a free spirit.
Despite it all though and thinking back, I honestly cannot recall I time when I saw Heather that she was not smiling. We all have our off days but I don't think she ever really showed it. Not to mention, her smile in itself seemed contagious. She was happy, energetic, and caring. Always looking for and helping to bring out the best in people. For me personally, that was and is still a cherished gift I hold in my heart and will for the rest of my days. Heather saw in me what I could not see in myself at the time and even today still struggle recognizing or believing is there.
She gave me the gift of an innocent, adoring, and respected love. Something I was so unaccustomed to that I nearly didn't see it for what it truly was. The young heart flutters fiercely and loves as deeply as it knows how, but the aging heart gains depth with every passing year and so a wave of recognition in the significance of love and all that it encompasses washes over the soul. Hindsight is 20/20. Even still, I am sincerely glad that I can look back to see and know what was there. I can easily say that I know part of me is better simply for having known Heather and more so for the relationship we had.
But I'm sure some of these things I am expressing are not limited to solely to myself. Heather was simply enchanting and I'm sure many others would agree. She had an air about her that many beautiful and free souls tend to have. It was uplifting, rejuvenating and carried with it a charm matched by few. You are truly and deeply missed Heather, but will never leave our hearts and memories.
R.I.P.
Heather
October 2, 1985 to August 29th, 2002
(There is another somewhat related older post with mention of Heather on my 'My Personal Journey' page under the label, "My Dearest Uir [An Inspiring Ogham Reading]" that does give a brief backstory of Heather's passing and our relationship if you feel a tad lost or would just like to read it.)